Offline Media Marketing Strategy to the Latino and Hispanic Market| June 21, 2011
With the U.S. Hispanic/Latino population now over 50 million and growing its worth taking another look at how to better reach this huge consumer group offline. Spanish speakers are culturally different that English speakers. Their buying habits and the way they respond to advertising is different. Knowing what works in creating or updating your marketing plan is essential.
The 2009 U.S. Census claimed that not only were there a total of 46.9 million Hispanics in America, and more than one of every two people born into the nation’s population in a year’s span is Hispanic.
Here are a few new stats with regard to media:
- Hispanic newspaper readership is skewed to adults between the ages of 34 and 54 with an average household income of $40,000
- The Hispanic and Latino population often listens to the radio all day, which has been proven to be an effective medium in targeting this consumer group
- The visual confirmations provided in television advertising are extremely important, especially for Spanish-dominant Hispanics
- Hispanic and Latino households are 3.5 times more likely to respond to a direct mail solicitation than a non-Hispanic household, due to the fact that 72% of U.S.-based Hispanics report that they always read their mail, and this includes direct marketing
- Spanish language newspapers are still a very important aspect of Hispanics’ daily media consumption. They are very connected to their community!
Family is central to the Spanish speaking members of our society and neighborhood and community are an extension of that relationship. Front door marketing is unique in its ability to create or increase brand visibility throughout the household and among the friends of Latinos and Hispanics.
In Miami, you see Spanish language advertising everywhere. Even English speaking ads often feature actors of Latin origin. Businesses that are ahead of the curve by marketing to the Latino community will establish and solidify their brand in the minds and hearts of Latinos. It just makes common sense!
Rob Coven is president and founder of Market To Latinos an online, Spanish language based, marketing and consulting company. He has been working and living with the Spanish speaking and Latino community since 1984. He writes blogs and shares important articles and research on the Spanish speaking population in the U.S. and abroad. Call Rob at 706-850-7555 or info@MarketToLatinos.com.Visit our website: Market To Latinos